Sunday 2 November 2008

On the shores of Gitchee Gumee, of the shining big-sea-water....

I went hunting for the snark today for a little light relief, the library here has a "Complete Works of Lewis Carroll", and by chance, I found a poem I had never come across before, or, at least if I had, I had forgotten it. It was Carroll's "Hiawatha's Photography". A silly poem about family portrait photography, Carroll was a photographer too, written in the metre of Longfellow's "Song of Hiawatha". (The link is to Carroll's poem, not HWL's.) Now, as Carroll points out, once you have the metre in your head, it's not difficult, if you are poetically inclined, to mimic it. What struck me was not the skill but the conceit of marrying the poem's form, Hiawatha and photography. Hiawatha as a wannabe David Bailey. One of those little side slips by the brain.

I was going to hang a blog about the plight of the native American in the nineteenth century on that but decided that it would be too depressing so instead I thought it might be interesting to put down some poetry. Not necessarily 'great' poetry but things that move, intrigue or humour this penguin instead. Now I will probably run foul of the copyright furies, who will hound me to Hades, but on the basis that some may be unfamilar..........

Where the poem is in a foreign language, I have tried to provide a translation next to it in case the other language is not known

Jorge Luis Borges

Un poeta menor-------------------------------- A minor poet

La meta es el olvido-----------------------------The goal is oblivion
Yo he llegado antes------------------------------I have arrived early

Genesis iv, 8 Genesis iv, 8

Fue en el primer desierto.-----------------It was in the original desert.
Dos brazos arrojaron una gran piedra.-Two arms let loose a great stone.
No hubo un grito. Hubo sangre.---------There was no cry. There was blood.
Hubo por vez primera la muerte.--------For the first time there was death.
Ya no recuerdo si fui Abel o Cain.--------I do not now recall if I was Abel or Cain.

Nor does the penguin know and I, too, have arrived early.

Roger McGough

Defying Gravity

Gravity is one of the oldest tricks in the book.
Let go of the book and it abseils to the ground
As if, at the centre of the earth, spins a giant yo-yo
To which everything is attached by an invisible string.

Tear out a page of the book and make an aeroplane.
Launch it. For an instant it seems that you have fashioned
A shape that can outwit air, that has slipped the knot.
But no. The earth turns, the winch tightens, it is wound in.

One of my closet friends is, at the time of writing,
Attempting to defy gravity, and will surely succeed
Eighteen months ago he was playing rugby,
Now, seven stones lighter, his wife carries him aw-

Kwardly from room to room. Arranges him gently
Upon the sofa for the vistors. 'How are things?'
Asks one, not wanting to know. Pause. 'Not too bad.'
(Open brackets. Condition inoperable. Close brackets)

Soon now, the man that I love (not the armful of bones)
Will defy gravity. Freeing himself from the tackle
He will sidestep the opposition and streak down the wing
Towards a dimension as yet unimagined.

Back where the strings are attached there will be a service
And homage paid to the giant yo-yo. A box of left overs
Will be lowered into a space on loan from the clay.
Then, weighted down, the living will walk, wearily, away.

For Adrian Henri

A nun standing
In a fish and chip shop queue,
Watching as the vinegar runs through,
And thinking
How nice
To buy dinner for two.

The penguin thinks that it is pleasing to know that where he treads, others have trod before. And that the memory of those footsteps can pass through our feet and into our hearts.

John Donne

'TIS true, 'tis day ; what though it be?
O, wilt thou therefore rise from me?
Why should we rise because 'tis light?
Did we lie down because 'twas night?
Love, which in spite of darkness brought us hither,
Should in despite of light keep us together.

Light hath no tongue, but is all eye ;
If it could speak as well as spy,
This were the worst that it could say,
That being well I fain would stay,
And that I loved my heart and honour so
That I would not from him, that had them, go.

Must business thee from hence remove?
O ! that's the worst disease of love,
The poor, the foul, the false, love can
Admit, but not the busied man.
He which hath business, and makes love, doth do
Such wrong, as when a married man doth woo.

Oft times has the penguin needed to make such a choice. But Donne is wrong. 'Tis no sin to 'pull a sickie' for love!


Ernst Jandl

Manche meinen -------------------Most peopre think
Lechts und rinks ------------------Reft and light
Kann man nicht velwechsern---Ale nevel confused
Werch ein Illtum!-----------------What an ellol!

Impossible to translate. But worse is 'Der kunstlicher Baum' (The artful tree). Translation is not the problem, getting the translation to conform to the shape of an oak tree is!

Justin Quinn

Terrorism

I would blame no bird
When the slightest twig is snapped,
For its nervousness.
Suspended above it all,
Held by steel and brick,
We live inside their silence,
Years after their acts.

Not about the current situation, not about al Qaida, but the 'troubles' (Northern Ireland). Strange how history inevitably repeats itself, George Santayana notwithstanding.

Jacques Prevert

Dejeuner du matin---------------------Breakfast

Il a mis le cafe-------------------------He poured coffee
Dans la tasse--------------------------Into the cup
Il a mis la lait-------------------------He poured milk
Dans la tasse de cafe------------------Into the coffee cup
Il a mis le sucre-----------------------He added sugar
Dans le cafe au lait--------------------To the milky coffee
Avec la petit cuiller-------------------With the little spoon
Il a tourne------------------------------He stirred
Il a bu le cafe au lait-------------------He drank his milky coffee
Et il a respose la tasse-----------------And put back his cup
Sans me parler------------------------Without a word
Il a allume-----------------------------He lit
Une cigarette--------------------------A cigarette
Il a fait des ronds----------------------He blew rings
Avec la fumee-------------------------With the smoke
Il a mis les cendres--------------------He tipped his ash
Dans le cendrier-----------------------Into the ashtray
Sans me parler------------------------Without a word
Sans me regarder---------------------Without a glance
Il s'est leve-----------------------------He got up
Il a mis---------------------------------He put
Son chapeau sur sa tete-------------His hat on his head
Il a mis---------------------------------He put on
Son manteau de pluie-----------------His raincoat
Parce qu'il pleuvait-------------------Because it was raining
Et il parti-------------------------------And he left
Sous la pluie----------------------------In the rain
Sans une parole------------------------Without a word
Sans me regarder----------------------Without a glance
Et mois j'ai pris-------------------------And me? I hung
Ma tete dans ma main----------------My head in my hands
Et j'ai pleure.---------------------------And I wept.

Ah, have we not all been there?
Bye, bye

10 comments:

  1. Thank God, no. But. I can feel it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, good ol' Jack Pervert, as we used to call him. That really has to be one of my all time favourite poems. Such deceptively simple language to paint such a picture. So taken with Jacques was I that my deputy headmaster gave me his copy of 'Paroles' (Words) when I left school. I still have it. A paperback printed on the worst paper imaginable (post-war austere Europe) but still just intacto.

    Aren't all the best things free?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Song of Hiawatha used to be an obsession of mine.

    Whatever possessed you to such a breach of copywrite?

    I have questions on Fenyman. Write me when you are up for answering them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, John Donne is out of copyright, Borges is dead as is Prevert and Jandl (and the translations of P & J are mine :), will Roger mind an awful lot (?) I have got all of his books which I paid very good money for (poesie's so expensive), and if Justin Quinn has forgotten that I knew him when he was a 'wet behind the ears' English Graduate when he worked for MG, well. Just because he's moved on a bit since then (Senior Lecturer, Prague University, English, and is a published poet (I've got all of his stuff as well) doesn't give him the right to go whingeing. Actually, you are in hallowed company, he once wrote a poem about the penguin (the only other), complete with academic footnotes.

    Basically if anyone complains I'll take it down but it's not like I'm making money out of it. Maybe they, or their estates will.

    I'll probably remove it anyway before I go back to sea and anyone who is going to see it will have by then.

    I can be up for Feynman any time you like missus!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My God you are so serious.

    I was giving you a hard time. Let me get some excercise and regroup. I will send you the questions later tonight.

    Thanks Penguin

    PS- maybe a job?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not enough smilies, Penguin, should have been a few more, especially around the Quinn 'boy' :) Although copyright is a serious issue so.........

    There's actually quite a nice musical version of the opemimg to IX, 'Hiawatha and the Pearl Feather' by Mike Olfield - sung as if you couldn't guess by Maddy Prior :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, all I can think of is that somehow, across all oceans, continents, rivers, seas, sunrises, sunsets, words, disagreements, gods, no gods---

    Humans must find a way to reach across the distance that differences make. And scratch the window and point to the sun drawn on a sheet of paper and remind each other that though kindergarden is over, the bell has rung for the last time and we are all running out (some of us hand in hand) perhaps turn back and get the one you left behind in the classroom with his chair pushed in who is standing. He stands staring at the blackboard, stunned that it is over and he thought he'd learned his lessons. Learned them well, he did.

    But he never learned to make a friend.

    Open the door, march across the room-filled stupor, take his hand and and walk back to the crowd.

    School is over. It is time to live. As long as you are human, you are never alone. Do not weep for Jacques. It is he who wept for you.

    The American

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very important! Not directed AT you, we've been there before, remember?:)

    After reading your comment, simultaneously, two thoughts.

    Her: Stevie Nicks, 'Stop dragging my heart around!'

    Him, six months later: 'And empty rooms that echo as I climb the stairs. And empty clothes that drape and fall on empty chairs.' (Don McLean)

    The penguin always hates it when that happens, seeing both sides :)

    I really must clear out this junk room of a brain sometime. So much random 'noise', I can't hear myself think! :)

    And job? It was all different then, I got to choose. You really would not want to work for the lot I do, even at a distance :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe I have a job that does not include putting myself in danger. :)

    That is what I meant.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Easy mistake to make :) Well for me :)

    Yes. I saw that you had given up on carrying a lethal weapon for a living. Wise choice.Guns have a quite wide event horizon when it comes to danger. In one respect it's why our police normally don't carry them, it has a tendency to increase risk, not reduce it.

    ReplyDelete