Wednesday 3 December 2008

There will now be a brief interlude as we allow certain ideas to permeate the crevices and cracks and settle in dark pools deep beneath the ground

Only a few weeks to go now. Some of the chicks are starting to get restless and keep their eyes ever northward as though sensing the sea. Perhaps we do, even that young, sense something we have never seen, felt; even just an unexplained longing for something, we know not what. Although I followed Havelock and Myfanwy that first year, still, it seemed to me, I think, that I knew the way; that I knew where the sea was. Perhaps I shall try this year and keep my eyes closed some of the way, see if I can smell the salt; not for too long, I wouldn't want to get lost now, would I? That unfortunately is only too easy down here, the ice can be a little disorientating sometimes; it does have a habit of appearing the same in all directions. :) Still, navigating by the sun is not so difficult for a penguin nor by magnetic field, although, given the way it sometimes fluctuates, it's not to be relied on.

We are aiming for 14 December for Cozy's little show. We've persuaded most of the adult penguins here to remain until then so that as many chicks as possible can see what he has planned, although Cozy still refuses to tell me what exactly he has got in mind for the two flares and the two pieces of string, still buried in the snow; except to say he thinks I 'might like it'. We'll see. Although he has often been a sore trial these past months, I do hope that this goes well for him. Cozy, like all of us, gets no younger with each passing year and perhaps this will be the last opportunity he has to impress the youngsters; I sense that he thinks so. That even if he survives to haul himself up onto the ice again next year and make his way here, his body will not be up to performing again, well unless he finds a willing partner. :) It would be nice to think that, if this to be his swan song, it might be remembered, down the years, by those who never saw, just heard from their parents. In the creche. A latter day 'Thundering Penguin'. 'Catapulting Cozy'? Ah well, we shall see. Nothing is certain here, no matter what we might wish and it is forever so easy to fall from a knife edge.

It is strange here, as we near the year's end. So much appears to have happened in your world but I think that those events are your concern, not mine, although no doubt they will impact down here and we will suffer, as we always do. It is only the small things, the corona, the halo around our struggle for survival, that matter to us here. The pride I feel in once more raising a healthy and fat chick through the long hard winter; the joy in Fricka's return once more; the contentment that other penguins can feel as I do, be not just automatons, that friendship is possible whatever it might cost here; even the sadness of Havelock takes on a hopeful hue when viewed in the light of what we achieve here, in the face of almost insurmountable hardship. Although it is much to hope, perhaps one day you will come to realise the immeasurable sadness you will feel when we are gone, forever. Perhaps you will find it in yourself to, just once, refrain, to exercise a little self control, a little compassion . 'Tis but a tiny hope, but a hope nonetheless.

I think I will try to 'post date' some posts for while I'm away, just in case. Strange tho' it might seem to this penguin, perhaps some will miss the rambling musings of a sad and oft tired bird, however imperatorial :) MG has agreed to do more QED posts if we do not get to photon absorption and emission by the time I have to leave tho' I doubt he will explain it as well as I. Probably come back next March to a mailbox full of whinges and moans about having to do the words AND the drawings, poor lamb! :) And no-one to point him in the right direction so it will be even more wrong than it otherwise might be.

Interesting thing happened just then, in that last paragraph. The mutability of consonants (and vowels). How 'p' and 'b' mutate around each other in words. 'Absorb' but 'Absorption'. I had trouble spelling the noun, tho' I know a little philology. Lazy speakers the English! But that's probably the Norman French inheritance. Never could cope with Anglo-Saxon, the Norman scribes, forever twisting it in ways it was never meant to go. The roots of a conquered nation go deep!

The muse continues to prod and perhaps I will be permitted to post. The allegory will fly past you, but it is there nonetheless. Perhaps my biographer will explain all in fifty years time. :)

Odd, do you not think? To write a valediction at least two weeks before 'Farewell'. Perhaps in two weeks I will not be able to write one.

15 comments:

  1. You say tis 'but whimsy' yet whimsy can make me feel immense sadness more than reality, which makes me feel little more than anger.

    When the penguin leaves, I will miss him. I do hope he makes it back. Of course, it might be an excuse to finally make the excursion I've fantasized about to the South Pole. I just have not determined where my funding will come from.

    I will run away somehow. Just not sure to where and with what.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The penguin is at the peak of his powers! This penguin does not at this stage of his life cycle plan to become sealshit, as if there were a seal alive that could catch him! Besides K-Pax will have been four years at sea next March. Who is going to teach him the value of Melville, of Milton, of Sartre, of Goethe, of Ibsen, if I don't?

    Yes, I know, dumb name but Fricka was of no help and my brain hurt at the time. It was the best I could do! A lot better than Brooklyn, in my book!

    If this post makes you sad then perhaps you might want to take a rain check on the fairy story, if it ever comes. It's breaking MY heart at the moment.

    In the Penguin's view running, whether away or otherwise, is much surpassed by meandering aimlessly at a sedate pace. You never know what you might come across and you have time to enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does committing one's self to the mental ward count as running away or aimlessly wandering?

    I'm sorry that the faerie story is so sad. You alone have the power to post it or save it. I, on the other hand, have little self-control, though if I were specifically asked, I would not visit the penguin, just because that is what is called "respect."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Committing ONESELF to a mental ward is neither, it is insanity! (Outlook greatly coloured by 'One flew over the cuckoo's nest' with Jack Nicholson and own schizophrenic uncle)

    The allegory will be understood by at least two people. It seems to me only proper that, at least, one of those also should have the power of veto :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What do you know about Fuzzy Thinking? My well-meaning (I'm sure) grandmother sent it to me (probably as an attempt to assist me in becoming atheist), but I'm not convinced though I can't explain why.

    Just took a brief overview and skipped to the end so far. He does use QED for his "nothing" problem and of course, I don't believe there is "nothing". Sigh.

    I'm so tired, It is surprise I believe anything at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure that a QM view of the world makes sense at a 'macro' level, ie the level at which WE perceive the universe, and so I don't have a lot of time for ideas which try to 'translocate' those QM-like ideas to a macro level, which I think 'fuzzy logic' tries to do. Quantum Mechanics is about particles and their interactions, it is not about OUR interactions with the world. I bet the author is a journalist! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Friend, where art thou?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha! You got the joke. I actually did that knowing the artist in you would freak out. But sorry, it is staying until Christmas eve. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Unless, my beloved Penguin, you would be willing to draw me a new one.

    You really do owe me for the faerie story, you know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. How on earh do I owe you for the fairy story? :) Anyways the penguin has little time at the moment, preparing everything to go back to sea is atime consuming business :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Of course you don't owe me anything.

    It's just that it would hardly be unselfish if you did design me (with your almighty artistic powers) a masthead, since we exchange ideas and faerie stories... but it can't be forced. I see that. And, I'm sorry for asking.

    I thought you might take it as a compliment, but I see that I don't understand people. I keep trying to make them behave as I would and that just isn't fair, is it?

    Don't catch cold going back to the ice-

    The American

    ReplyDelete
  12. Be not too hard on the penguin, or yourself. Time has been short for both he and I these past weeks (only 1 post in December) and it is hard to squeeze in all that MUST be done before the end of the year. Hopefully the new year will provide some respite for me and a well earned 'pig-out' for him :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Did you ever get the O.K. on the faerie post?

    Missing our dialogue,

    The Am.

    ReplyDelete
  14. No, but then I have yet to finish it. Anouilh is required and I cannot find the station's copy so far

    ReplyDelete
  15. Do please hurry (though I sense, just by my having proposed anything at all you will do, or at least say, the exact opposite)
    because I have a feeling you have something that will unlock the next chapter.

    But I may be remiss in my understanding....

    The American

    ReplyDelete