Tuesday 10 March 2009

Deathmøle and Jumpers

If you haven't got your sound up and speakers on, get them up, now!

No, not the wee Malkies but something that so reminded me of my adolescence, sitting in my wee bedroom noodling, headphones plugged into my amp. If only we'd had Garage Band then, not just an old Sony 4 track open reel. It's a multi-tracked Jeph Jacques, author of the 'questionable content comic' - in which the band Deathmøle feature. While a bit derivative, it reminds me of early Joe Satriani, it seems to me not half bad for a copyright free, downloadable mp3 from a comic writer. Obviously Jeph just likes showing off his not tiny 'talent'! And Hannelore Ellicott-Chatham is really cooking on drums! So, you ready? Deathmøle. Click 'Play'

I'm afraid the post might seem a little contentious today. I have no desire to hurt anybody's feelings nor open wounds best left closed but something happened yesterday morning that I don't really understand. Perhaps someone, anyone, can explain or enlighten me?

I made my usual trip to the tube station only to find it closed. I questioned one of the station attendants and discovered that the line was closed from the south terminus for about 10 stations and the service was suspended until further notice. "Why?" "Someone under a train at the next station. "

During the rush hour it can be sometimes a little 'hairy' on the tube platform with people jostling for position so as to be able to launch themselves at the doors when they open and join in what is usually a frantic scramble to gain the last empty seats and avoid strap-hanging all the way to the city. It is not a pretty sight, every man (and woman) for themselves but it's a way of life here. And sometimes accidents do happen, in all the overcrowding and jostling. It's one of the reasons I always travel as the rush hour subsides, the train is not usually full for at least 5 0r 6 stops after the terminus, ergo no mad scrambles where I get on and therefore little possibility of mishap.

So one has to conclude that this was most likely a 'jumper'. If colliding with the front of a moving train only just at the beginning of its braking doesn't get you, the electrified rail probably will. It may not have been but it happens so often that in all probability it was suicide. What I don't understand is why people kill themselves this way.

Previous posts will have, I hope, demonstrated that I am not unaware of both the events and states of mind which can drive an individual towards ending their own life. The feelings of desperation, that nothing you can do can change how you feel or what's happened to you. How the thought of more of the same is so debilitating that the only possible end to it is to consign your conscienceness to the ever waiting and soft, gentle hands of oblivion. Many of us have been there, bought the T-Shirt but..........

Why in God's, or anyone's, name would you subject an innocent victim to the trauma of your decision? What makes you choose not to drop a few months' supply of Mogadon, slit your wrists, eat rat poison, after having written to the police, first class, with the keys to your flat telling them of your intentions the day you carry them out, so they'll recover the body before it starts to decompose and smell.

Why does it have to be public?

And the driver of the train?

What must he/she feel?

It's not his/her fault! He/she can do nothing about it but..........

Think how YOU would feel? You've just KILLED someone! The thing you are in control of has just KILLED someone! Another human being!

My mother once told me of an event that happened when I was very young. My father was driving a truck when a child ran out from behind a car into the road almost immediately in front of him. Needless to say the truck hit the child, there was no time to brake, and killed him/her - my mother wasn't too sure of the sex. How would YOU feel?

My father never spoke of it. (So I can guess how HE felt about it! There was NOTHING he could do - unless Superman - but YOU've DONE it nonetheless)

So why can't these disturbed, fucked up individuals learn to be just a little more considerate! I would be! Or are they SO fucked up?

7 comments:

  1. You are right. It was rude and cruel- both of us. Whoever that was and inflicting my pain on someone I don't know.

    It is an attempt to grasp on to something, anything to hold one's self up. Apparently he/she didn't have that or else really wanted to punish the world. I prefer the little prince's method: Make death your friend. Then, the transition will be effortless.

    No need for a gruesome plot- when it comes, it comes easily and without a fight.

    I think, for me, thinking about suicide is a surrender to my worst fear and a realization that eventually one must make peace with their own mortality, which, in the end makes life worth living on most any account- even a depressing account of one's life.

    I have to go there in order not to go there.

    It's the long way around, but I've never been one for shortcuts. Long ago, I realized they made the journey less enjoyable. Taking too long- being the last one in the woods, I noticed the tiniest things- the things everyone else walked right past. I made subtle discoveries- perhaps useless discoveries. But to me they were the most wonderful delights in the world for that moment.

    I am sorry for hurting you. If you stayed in the woods sometimes, you'd see for yourself....

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHat is the weird o all about?

    Not really heard from you. Just spectating your signt now and then to see how you are.

    It is bleak weather here, but probably the norm for you. How does a Londoner stay positive?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The weird 'o'. It's an affectation beloved of metal bands. Motorhead started it, I think, putting umlauts over the 'o's. Now, because 'death metal' pretty much started on Scandanavia, the affectation is to use Scandanavian vowels which don't occur in English :) Sad, isn't it?

    How do Londoners stay positive? Well, completing 3 out of 5 Times crosswords in a week helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually it was probably Blue Oyster Cult not Motorhead that first introduced umlauts over 'o's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hang in there. It is going to be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Um well, if you drown yourself or slice yourself, you won't be here to know that its not going to be okay. Otherwise, it is. Take a look at this post. This young lady writes so beautifully. I don't like everything she says, but this post inspired me quite a bit and I think you should read it. It is about rebuilding dreams.

    Go ahead and take a look:
    http://www.girlsgonechild.net/2009/03/click-your-heels.html


    She helped me get a grip about my situation.

    Also? Here's a weird one:
    http://www.girlsgonechild.net/2009/03/click-your-heels.html


    The reason I don't have a job yet is because I went back to school (probably a stupid thing to do) and my schedule is almost impossible to work with, but also I've been waiting until the hubby is not lame anymore. THer's more to it, which I will try to explain in a blog post. You will see my problems are more about paranoia than anything... so, have hope, penguin.

    ReplyDelete