Thursday 9 August 2012

Nostalgia (Part 13)



There's no real reason for calling the foregoing 'Nostalgia' (Parts 1-12) except that (a) I happen to like songs/poems of temporary or permanent loss - it appeals to the morbid and, dare I say, the sentimental which lies deep within me and (b) I happened to be listening to the Emily Barker song of the same name incessantly during the time I was writing the story. The song has a haunting and melancholic quality which is only enhanced by the cello and accordion accompaniment to Emily's basic acoustic guitar. 

After all, we have all been 'twelve thousand miles away from your smile', haven't we? Even if it is only a couple of hundreds.

 Nostalgia by Emily Barker (and the Red Clay Halo)

Tram wires cross* Melbourne skies
Cut my red heart in two.
My knuckles bleed down Johnston Street
on a door that shouldn’t be in front of me.

Twelve thousand miles away from your smile
I'm twelve thousand miles away from me.
Standing on the corner of Brunswick
Got the rain coming down and mascara on my cheek.

Oh, whisper me words in the shape of a bay,
Shelter my love from the wind and the waves

Crow fly, be my alibi
And return this fable on your wing.
Take it far away to where gypsies play
Beneath metal stars by the bridge.

Oh, write me a beacon so i know the way,
Guide my love through the night and through the day.

Only the sunset knows my blind desire for the fleeting.
Only the moon understands the beauty of love
When held by a hand; like the aura of nostalgia.


Oh well, it probably beats being inspired by Iron Maiden or Black Sabbath, although my  prose would be in no way be any less awful..

* I cannot decide whether this should be 'cross or cross; both have the one syllable that Emily sings and both work. Personally, I prefer 'cross but then I'm weird; seriously weird!

No comments:

Post a Comment