Friday 25 July 2008

Machismo, Top Gun and Tubs of Lard

Hello, Fricka here.

I am a little confused about what his 'lordship' wants me to do here. All he said was "Write whatever comes into your head. Don't try to be clever!" Cheek!

So I've read all of his posts (?) this morning and I must say that it is exactly what he seemed to be doing except he was trying to be clever. The trouble is I'm a lot younger than he is, I don't get the chance to read so much and I'm worried that it will all seem a little more boring than his was. But I promised so...............

Everyone's been really kind about my toe and I must just tell you that it is healing nicely. I was just glad that was all the seal got. Perhaps if I tell you about that?

But first, otherwise you might not understand, I have to tell you something that his 'lordship' managed to leave out both from his tale about dear Havelock and all of his own 'soul bearing' this month. Like father like son? I wonder why he never mentioned that we've been paired for four years? Ever since he fell over me at the floe edge as he came out of the water and nearly tore my wing off! Are your males like that? Don't say anything which makes them look less male? Ah well, he'll kill me for saying that when he gets back but.........

We always 'go to the movies' as he says when I first get back and last year we managed to find a French sub-titled version of 'Top Gun'. My French is a little better than his so I suppose the dialogue stayed with me a bit more. But all I could think of after the seal grabbed my toe and bit through, as I was weaving and jinking through the water with the seal inches from my tail, were Goose's words "Jester's on our tail! Now's the time to give us some of that pilot sh*t, Mav!" Somewhere in my brain, I wasn't swimming, I was flying. Maybe that's why I got away.

'Little Fricka' is doing very well and 'Uncle' Wobbling Tub of Lard seems to have taken it upon himself to act as surrogate 'daddy' in between training sessions. Still, I cannot begrudge him that, we've never known a penguin do what he did, except poor, dear Havelock and we have always thought that he was an aberration, a genetic quirk. Perhaps we are evolving to deal with all the added pressures you are placing on us here? Who knows? I hope so. His 'lordship' says that in another fifty years, we'll be so far inland to find firm ice to breed that the females will never make it back in time. I hope he isn't right.

The bonxies took three more chicks today. That makes five in all since I got back. At least little Fricka is safe with Cozy. There isn't a tube nose on the planet who will take him on, especially as he ate half of what Stingo bought back for Fricka. No, she had her fill and Stingo was full to the brim anyhow.

All I have to do now is find a 'clever' title.

No comments:

Post a Comment