Friday 12 September 2008

News, worry and hope

One of the difficult things about writing a blog is coming up with something to say. Well it would be, wouldn't it? If you deal with, say, news then the chances are something will have happened in world yesterday that you might think was worth writing about, having a view on. But when it's more about what goes on in your head it gets a bit more difficult. Some days, most days, nothing happens!

That's when I go back and read any blogs with comments. I usually read the comment when they're emailed from blogspot but I don't usually have time to go and reread the blog itself. Rereading the blog later and then the comment often causes neurons to fire in ways they might otherwise not.

I had something really nice planned for this. It might follow it might not. But one (well the only one really) of my commentators left a message on a post here which in effect pointed to a recently started blog of their own. Out of a sense of penguiness I went and had a look. The blogger's in Texas! I am now going to worry myself silly that they're in/not in "Ike's" path. They're on the coast! The blog says they're staying put!

Some meteorologists in the States are saying it may now reach Category 2 (go look it up) and even this one can't kick that much ass! Trouble is, I'll have no way of knowing whether they are or they're not OK unless they're not in its path. Evacuation, from a communications point of view, is just the same as having your home demolished around you. Always, always....tiny, tiny hopes!

Why have the last weeks just been about tiny hopes? Some dashed, some not. Is it that once you start down the road of tiny hopes, they just keep coming? Or is God trying to tell me something? If I had a God to pray to, I would, but I don't, so just post a comment.........please? I do not want to go through a 'little' Fricka episode again......not so soon.

It's strange in a way. A penguin gets this fraught about something that might happen to a member of a species that's the biggest bunch of shits ever to walk the planet but as George Bernard Shaw once remarked: "I hate the human race, until I meet one of them!"

I'll leave the treatise on Camus and the 'absurde' and why there is hope, even if God does not exist, for another day.

7 comments:

  1. The air is so deathly still and hot, I dare not venture outside. From a penguin's point of view, it would be unbearable.

    There are clues that all is well if one reads the details...location, location, location is the key in times like these. South of Matagorda Bay is calm, except for the points where there is slight flooding. Not every member of the human race is married to Hollywood drama. Most of us are more like the folks in "American Gothic."

    Not much to talk about unless you consider the myriad of ways we can make up our minds and change them every half hour, depending on the meaning of life. Depending on whether we believe in GOd that day. Depending on whether we accidently slip up and pray in a moment of mistaken neediness.

    There we stand in our less than picturesque lives with our austere gazes, staring down the realities of day to day emergencies, which, as it turns out, take more of our energy than a simple mandatory vacation from the endless whirlwind of everyday hurricanes.

    No drama here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That, at least, is a relief. We are built by evolution to stand up to the wind; you, my friends, are not. A post every 30 seconds over the next 24 hours should suffice to allay any outstanding fears I may have:-)

    Just kidding!

    It is at least good to know roughly where you are - news posts are around 12 hours old via google, Must investigate more up to date news.

    Oh, and neediness? It's never mistaken. And whatever satisfies the need is always fine by me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, if humans are needy as a collective species, how could prayer possibly hurt?

    To have a way to breathe "thank you" to a Universe (Energy, God, Spirit, Entity, etc.) for another day with a hurricane on the inside of my house, and perhaps my heart; Nevertheless, a home with shrieking children, a husband who cracks lame jokes, and friends all over the world--

    Who else am I to thank?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look,

    I don't know who you are, if you are a real person, but stepping outside my door tonight to enjoy the suddenly cool evening air, the thought that you might be a very lonley person somewhere halfway round the world came into my head and I said a prayer for you, that someone who needed to be known would find their way to you and that you would want to know them in return, and if that is already the case, then I hope that you two will find each other again.

    But anyway, I always enjoy reading a different perspective. Keeps me on my toes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Penguin says that since I left the allusion to Dante Aligheri on Exhale 4, the last comment must be for me :-)

    Loneliness is not being alone, it's feeling alone but I thank you for your prayer nonetheless. Loss changes one and once changed what was lost can never be recaptured, only simulated.

    As to being real, there are a number of people out there who think I am merely a figment of my own imagination but I think that's a lot better than being a figment of someone else's.

    As Borges points out, imagine the horror of dreaming a person to life in your head only to discover that you too are merely being dreamt by another! ('The circular ruins')

    ReplyDelete
  6. Right. So, as long as you have the penguin, I suppose, you are alone in theory only. It is a feeling.

    Nonetheless a feeling I'm more familiar with than I care to admit. I'm in such a treacherously "un-alone" state right now that I continuously wait for the devastation of having the rug ripped out from underneath my happiness.

    I think you are right about learning to enjoy life for its own sake. But I still maintain that I have faith in something much larger. Even if that something is just a garden to work in to keep me from questioning my own existence.

    ReplyDelete