Thursday 2 October 2008

Page 0, Primo Levi and a c**k up!

Give me a break! I haven't finished Hammett yet. It's amazing how you cannot imagine Sam Spade as anybody but Humphrey Bogart, isn't it? And Joel Cairo IS Peter Lorre. And Gutman IS Sydney Greenstreet. Iconic performances in what must have seemed at the time, a throwaway film.

Bit like Casablanca, I guess.

And I can't believe I've mis-spelt Sartre all the way through this blog! I mean it's like spelling Martin as Highdigger! I've corrected what I've found but there are no doubt others I've missed. Sorry Jean-Paul. Really, I mean that, I'm not just saying it. Sorry!

Strange, in a way, titling the last blog "Call me Ishmael". A hero, Alan Coren, English humourist, much indebted to S J Perelman, and author of the Idi Amin diaries, once did a piece on the misplaced comma. He used Melville's opening line, only in the piece it was "Call me, Ishmael". What followed was a short spoof of Moby Dick in Melville's style which revolved around Ahab's answerphone :). It used to be here but I cannot find it and memory is so unreliable...........

I left a comment on the previous blog which was the opening paragraph to 'If this is a man' by Primo Levi. Levi was an Auschwitz survivor, an Italian Jew, but a chemist not a writer, at least not initially. And yet in 'If..' he lays out in the most exquisite prose, a perpetual dilemma. Where does hope come from? How do you stay alive, want to stay alive, when: "To destroy a man is difficult, almost as difficult as to create one: it has not been easy, nor quick, but you Germans have succeeded. Here we are, docile under your gaze, from our side you have nothing more to fear; no acts of violence, no words of defiance, not even a look of judgement."

Does his faith help? It's never seemed that way to me. A belief that something so wrong could never be right? However twisted society becomes? I don't think so. So why, when he believes himself destroyed does he not only continue living but spends the remainder of his life writing life affirming texts? There is, must be, something in the human spirit which provides for all occasions, all adversity. I just wish I knew what it was. Perhaps it's what the English call 'bloody mindedness'. That perverse notion that when the brown, squishy stuff hits the round, twirly thing, you don't duck, you don't move out of the way, you just stand your ground. And then when it's all over, you smile sweetly at the fan and walk away, confident in the knowledge that you could beat the crap out of it now but you don't really need or want to, do you? You're better than that, aren't you? You survived, didn't you?

There is a somewhat sad postscript to all of this. Levi died after falling down the stairs of his apartment. What no-one knows is whether it was deliberate or an accident.

So many of the Auschwitz survivors felt guilty that they had survived!

6 comments:

  1. First, how do you pronounce Primo?

    Next, do you have "The Periodic Table?"

    I think it was a poem in that book that I stumbled upon in the New Yorker. I have been looking for it ever since. It gives the same perception as Journey by Starlight, or the "Powers of Ten" video, in reverse.

    As if he stood on a star observing the earth, closer, closer and then at once his very eye is upon the subject and then again, he's right back out there with the sense of massive perception that in a larger picture, whatever it was doesn't matter.

    And I questioned the idea of God and then changed my mind a thousand times in less than a minute looking at it both ways, and finally deciding, it doesn't matter what I believe. I'll never have proof either way, so might as well choose and try to be happy.

    I really wish I knew what the name of that poem was, because it was a distinctive feeling I'll never forget. I'm fairly hardened to other's confusion, so it made an impression- as in, I completely identified with the thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have about two thirds of Levi's published output but sadly not 'The Periodic Table'. I shall therefore launch myself at Amazon.co.uk with abandon and garner the remainder. Poem should follow in about ten days! One of the few joys of the job I have, it pays a decent salary! Well enough to pay the mortgage and some left over for a few books and a bottle of Laurent Perrier Rose Brut when I feel like it.

    It's 'Preemo'. 'i' is usually a long 'i' in Italian, follows Latin, I think. Levi would be levee rather than the jeans, although North European Jews would go with the jeans option, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The periodic table's on its way - I always meant to read it, just never found it in a bookshop so never bought it. Also found the collected poems and since I have only ever read the one poem, 'if this is a man', I got that as well! Won't be the same in translation but you cannot have everything.

    Thank you for the ideas for what to read after I HAVE FINISHED Moby Dick :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry but I don't think you should finish Moby Dick.

    (Maybe a little reverse phsychology will work.)

    No, really. It is a waste of time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No the end will be reached. I'm normally a forgiving and accommodating soul, but Herman's tried my patience once too often! It's his time and, boy, is he going to get a thumping! Problem is I normally read about 60 pages on the jounrney home, 32 tonight :(

    We will I think be in for a long slog. Still have to work again all over the weekend, so that's another 4 hours there and back over the two days! Could be around p150 by Monday :) That's nearly 25%! We must keep our tiny hopes :)

    I had a thought today (no gags please!). The 15 year old French Student. Has she thought about 'Asterix le Gaulois'?

    Now they're strip cartoon books about Gauls fighting the Romans and are a national institution in France. They are sort of for children but always written with an eye to an adult audience. When I was learning in my early teens, I was always reading them. They're quite simple in one way but they are colloquial and are so full of puns that it's actually a good way to extend a command of the language.

    The Brockhampton editions which are in French but come with a 'note' sheet in English to explain some of the harder 'French' gags and some of the names are very good. Asterix et Cleopatre is one of the best. She might be able to 'test drive' at a local or school library.

    Oh and they're almost impossible to translate which is why the English language versions are pants! A simple example. The village bard in English is called Troubadorix (or similar - from troubador, a minstrel) The French version is called Assurancetourix, which is derived from 'Assurance a tous risques' meaning 'fully comprehensive car insurance'. Which one do you find funnier!

    OK, I admit it. I have a complete set! I still find them great fare on a Sunday afternoon with a glass of vino collapso and some chocolate but you do get funny looks on the tube/subway when you decide to read them on the way to work for light relief from Umberto Eco and Douglas Hofstadter:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. No poems in the 'Periodic Table' as far as I can tell. Will need to wait for the 'Collected Poems', maybe another week or so.

    ReplyDelete