Wednesday 29 October 2008

A thing of beauty in a strange, loopy kind of way

Ah, Doug, what have you crafted in your spare time? So rich, thoughtful, thought provoking, a book as complex as its subject.

I have just finished Hofstadter's 'I am a strange loop' and it is, as all his books are, a lovingly made manifestation of the often silent musings on the nature of consciousness, mind, self, I. To argue, so eloquently, for the inevitable, emergent quality of consciousness from just a sufficently complex rag bag of neurons. To so subtly fuel my recent, inexpert ramblings. You may go peacefully and content from this life, Doug, whenever that may be, and, at last together with Carole once more, you may stand with Jorge Luis and feel no shame, only contentment that you matched his skill. To take the reader so far down untrodden paths, forever forking, with mere words, symbols, splodges of black on white. I think Borges will be proud to stand at your side.

Not only did the book stimulate my neurons but it also reminded me of other books which I now need to re-read to enrich my own musings on emergent phenomena, 'The extended phenotype' (Dawkins and definitely worth a post of its own), 'The quark and the jaguar' (Gell-Mann and tricky), 'Consciousness explained' (Dennett and, as always, simply brilliant. How can such an incisive mind work at 'Tufts University', which always sounds to this penguin like a campus for cuddly, red squirrels? The penguin should perhaps explain. In Britland, they used to have this road safety campaign for children, which was 'fronted' by a red squirrel. It was called the 'Tufty Club', Tufty being the name of the squirrel. Sorry Dan, I just can't help it :)

You see, what Doug has done, for this penguin, is to encapsulate in a single book (say 400 pages) a hugely diverse range of thinking on a lot of the things that this blog has been about. Evolution. The absence of (a need for) God. Who, or what, we are. Why we do what we do. Empathy. Cartesian dualism and why it is so misguided. John Searle and why he is such an arsehole. And from any one of the things listed, a veritable host of other things spring. That is truly a Borges-like quality and is to be admired, lauded in this poor, humble penguin's opinion.

And no, Doug doesn't pay me to write this stuff! Although if he ever does 'google' himself and comes across this blog, then US dollars will be perfectly acceptable, brown envelope addressed to 'The Penguin, Antarctica' should reach me. I know the postman :)

5 comments:

  1. What is the exact title of the book? Sounds very interesting. Illuminating.

    Finishing up "The Spy Wore Red" which I swore I'd never read. As if I need any more fuel on my self-righteous femenistic tendencies.

    Probably an attempt to dodge the truth of all that I really am--- which, if I were to clothe myself in it, would leave me shivering in Antarctica.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The title? Exactly as above, "I am a strange loop", Douglas Hofstadter, Basic Books $16.95.

    The weather's not too bad down here at the moment. Besides, not a lot of truth is required down here, we get loads of politicos visit and they never seem to complain about the cold :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. But they are cothes in plenty of pretentiousness, none of which I currently possess.

    I am, alas, Nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, you seek to spin paradoxes, oh mistress Orb?

    "If you be, then the path to nothing is closed. For nothing is non being. Only non being is permitted to cross the stile to nothingness."

    'Musings on a number 7 trolley bus to Clapham Junction', Phineas T Gruntfuttock, 1922, Simon & Schuster.

    Sadly PTG is long out of print but I have a signed, but stained, second hand copy bound in snark hide. Deep, very, very deep!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It just occured to me. Hofstadter won a Pulitzer for his first book 'Goedel, Escher & Bach' (1979). Doug's dad won a Nobel prize in Physics in 1961.

    Don't you just hate it when it looks like genius is genetic! :)

    ReplyDelete