Thursday 9 October 2008

Tread lightly for you know not that which lies beneath your feet

Havelock has made his decision. One which he has deferred making for so long. Perhaps for me? Perhaps for Fricka? Perhaps for little Fricka and all those like her? Perhaps for the one chick which he tries to save each year? Perhaps for himself? Who can know? Who will ever now know?

He has decided that life without Myfanwy, finally, is no life. Whatever small compensations he could conjure for himself to assuage his pain, they are no longer enough, and he has chosen. Rather than a life without her, he will have unlife with her. And who dare challenge his choice? It is his, and only his, to make. It was always so.

I found him that morning, out by the test rig, dozing in the early morning sunshine. I didn't want to wake him but I needed him to keep an eye on 'little Fricka' while I wrote my blog. Laying my wing across his back, I felt him, cold and stiff. There was no warmth left in him. No charity. No love. No life.

Wherever Havelock may be, he is no longer here. No longer in the rookery. No longer by my side. What remained of my father was no more than empty, cold, dead flesh. Solid bone left rigid through the night. Stiff feathers useless, for protection, to insulate; there is no longer warmth to retain. The life has gone from that which was so alive. The penguin that was Havelock has departed and all that remains now is food for the bonxies.

There is a switch in every penguin. At certain times, you press the button and the penguin in front of you becomes a non-penguin. It is as simple as that! As every chick dies, its parents flip the switch and there is no chick, no to-be-penguin, no beloved, no heart's dearest, no tender fruit of your union. Just a husk, empty now, barren, a shell that once contained a penguin but contains one no more.

If the penguin is no longer a penguin, in what way are they different from the snow? From the rocks? From the concrete around the station? From the remains of half digested fish left by over-stuffed chicks intent on mayhem? In no way different. So we leave them. Where they lie. A stiff and frozen reminder of the price we will all be asked to pay. For life exacts its own cost for this life. A price for this joy, this excitement, this suffering, this contentment, which we all, penguin or human or orca, must pay, whether we will or no. Only by paying the real cost do we come to appreciate the value of what we have bought.

Tomorrow? Next month? Next year? When is not important. Only the inevitability of the final settlement remains.

We ignore them, these empty, lifeless urns, full now only of ashes. We cast them not a glance as we waddle from one side of the rookery to the other. After a few days, they are little more than feathers on skin, discarded remnants from an alien and bizarre haberdasher, just rags in scarlet drenched snow. Even the husk, now empty of the penguin that once was, becomes truly empty, a meal of guts and lights for a hungry petrel. Such is the life, and the death, here.

You would, I think, consider us heartless, cold, callous to so treat those we loved. Those we reared. Those we spent the long winter protecting; to the very limits of our endurance and sometimes beyond. Why else would we suffer, as we do, through the harsh winds, the freezing air, the hunger, if not for love? And, if for love, then do we not debase, besmirch, demean our love, in acting so? Is love so easily switched off? Like a table lamp? Is our love no more than a meal for the bonxies?

We do not love the husk, the empty shell, the ash filled urn. We do not love the feathers, the bones, the guts. We love the penguin. If the penguin has gone, what is there left to love? Except the memory?

And memory has no shell.

We buried him, Cozy, Sparky, Fricka and I. Beneath the test rig. All day we shovelled snow with our wings. It was not easy nor deep, but deep enough we hope to preserve him from the bonxies. That much, at least, is owed.

Never before. The rookery has been keening long into the night for three days now.

Little Fricka will not eat.

Little Charlie does not speak.

But tomorrow is a new dawn and, with each new sun, there is always new hope.

9 comments:

  1. Ah, Penguin. Would that I had had thy skill those 9 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why exact such incisive pain?


    Ah, what it means to be left alive!

    I am ready to hit "send" On my poem. Perhaps you can relate.

    The American

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, I'm here, and I commented. Now if you wish, you can read my poem.

    I haven't said I understand. Not unless you'd stabbed me with "the very same knife in the very same place in the very same heart" could I ever.

    Still:

    "Love is cold and sting on lonely days."

    This much I know. I could not have written it in the middle of the summer otherwise.

    The American

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exact an incisive pain? No, never! Just exise another very small piece of it from my own heart. Provoke an emotional response, however? Certainly! :)

    'Tis mostly whimsy, this blog. A sometimes feeble, sometimes passable, attempt to make me, and others, smile. But I am no Perelman, no Moliere, no Wilde, no power to make profound statements in wit's guise. So I pay little attention to what or how I write. It just comes and is set down as it comes.

    Sometimes, however, the 'stream of consciousness' moves me. And I work. Much more than usual. This post was, is, an agony for me. Hot tears on cold cheeks, indeed. Humans think we penguins do not care. That we are just mindless automatons. We are not. Perhaps we just care in a different way. He was dear to me, my father, I can think of no better way to honour him than to place him here, for the world to see.

    And I thank you for your poem. I will let you know when I begin to understand it :) Only four reads so far, but I'm only a penguin!

    Perhaps it is just a similar knife in a similar place in a similar heart? What more could 'writers' ever expect of the craft?

    ReplyDelete
  5. MG-

    I feel that way about my father, too. I didn't lose him. Exactly. Not the way you have.

    I've lost my father to persistent bouts of depression. There is a story behind the poem. I don't think you have time for it, but perhaps some time you will.

    It is directly related to a time my father was hospitalized, when I was very small. But it came about because of an incident that happened last summer. Love can be very confusing.

    I don't know how long ago you were hit with this loss but if you need to vent, you are welcome at my site. I will listen. Hold on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. With so much depth

    With so much pain

    Will you ever smile again?



    Of course you will

    You will again

    You won’t give up

    For You are sane



    See the sky

    Feel the air

    Look at the sun

    And do not despair



    Feel the grief

    Feel the pain

    But remember to laugh

    It may be just a game



    A game it may be

    But not for you

    Life is a gift

    And you will come through

    T

    ReplyDelete
  7. 'Tis indeed a game! In heaven, the least you can expect is a 'full house'! And I sit with three nines! 'Twas always so.........

    ReplyDelete
  8. Above all things, know that you are not alone and if you need a shoulder for you to cry, I give you mine!

    When my mum died it was those same feelings for me that were the hardest: that no one understands and, that the world was upside-down.

    If life is a bitch, Love is far worse! I call it "putain". Why? Because it's in your heart, and you can try to fight, but your mind just can't get over it.

    D

    ReplyDelete
  9. The penguin thanks you for your shoulder. The penguin's, tho' slight, is there, always, for you also. Love is hard to bear sometimes but nonetheless; it is a cloudless blue sky, a warm sun on a rainy day, the sound of a child's laughter amidst the tears, the gentle touch of fingertips across the cheek, ghostly or ephemeral, it matters not. Love is too precious to be 'putain'. In an upside down world, it is all there is and all there ever needs to be:)

    ReplyDelete