Saturday 31 January 2009

Questionable Content, M. Eiffel's metal high rise and some minor discolouration

I don't usually read webcomics but 'questionable content' is one of the most wonderful things I have come across in ages. A continuing story line of an ever expanding cast of twenty somethings 'hanging out' together. Excellent art (after about post 500), some genuinely interesting conversations and interactions between characters and, perhaps most importantly, the way in which, sometimes, what seems the most horrendous calamity, losing your job, can turn into the most wondrous experience. (That's the artist/author, not a character) I have spent much of my free time (what little I have) over the past few weeks catching up on the archive before reading the current stuff (absolutely necessary, you need to know the back stories) and I am absolutely 100% hooked! To a Brit, it's kind of like what 'Friends' ought to have been and never was! Oh and do I so empathise with Marten, the central male lead. :)

You can catch a glimpse here of the surreal nature of some of the comic. (Back story - the little robot is Pintsize, an anthroPC, owned by Marten, the male in the strip, who is as off the wall as it's possible for a computer/robot to get. The female is an OCD person who lives in the same apartment block who has bought a robot vacuum cleaner which carries a switchblade and is not afraid to use it. The strip is Pintsize's reaction to Marten being threatened by the vacuum cleaner, which 'thinks' Marten is 'coming on' to the OCD female.) You can see why I like it! :)

Weird sometimes the hands life ends up dealing you. I'm going to Paris today. That's Paris, France not Paris, Texas nor Paris, Kentucky nor Paris, Illinois, just plain old 'gay Paree'. I haven't been there for positively ages (around 20 years) and it will be really great to go smoochin' around le Tour Eiffel, l'Arc de Triomphe, le Louvre, Notre Dame, Montmartre, le Sacre Coeur, le Bois de Boulogne. Even in the rain. Except that I won't be! Arrive 13:58pm, depart 18:10pm with a meeting, probably in a railway station cafe/bar, sandwiched in between. How cruel can it get? I get my train fare paid and yet still I don't get to 'stay over'. I hope Mugwump appreciates the sacrifices I am willing to make to ensure he gets fed and cuddled. :) It's always nice to do something this time of year which cheers me up, just not this year. :(

I get to spend more time on Eurostar (the train) than I do in Paris! I don't even have a DVD enabled laptop I can take to while away the journey with the extended edition of 'Return of the King'. Ah well, c'est la vie! Besides, Paris, I think, you 'do' with lovers, partners, really good friends not on your own! Having someone to cuddle up to in the Louvre is the only way to bear the hordes of Japanese tourists snapping the Mona Lisa. Are you still allowed to take pictures? And I need someone to hold my hand (very tightly) if I venture up the Eiffel Tower; standing on a stool gives me vertigo and that horrible feeling as your scrotum tightens so much, your testicles pop out of your mouth, which can, in the wrong company and in the wrong place, be mildly embarrassing or even misconstrued. :)

Ah well, it never pays to be the fount of all wisdom! The disadvantages sometimes outweigh the ego trip!

Since this is a short, rambling blog today (gotta chuff chuff to catch), a couple of things left over from the last post:

Shirley's (the receptionist) little squeel was not in horror :) but in delight! There they were, looking for a well adjusted 'model' and what walks through the door? Me! Instant gratification!

To a well known supermarket chain. I hope you have changed your policies about check out staff. We do not frighten customers! And to the poor victim of those past policies, I hope you had enough courage to follow my advice and stuffed those policies right up your store manager's anal orifice! Hard!

To the young woman who designed (and wore) the T-shirt which I never got around to buying, to my great regret, which said on the front "Keep staring, I might do a somersualt!" Priceless!

To all you normal people out there. If we were 'hung up' about it, we wouldn't venture outside our collective front door, would we? If you're curious, ask! Like everyone else, we LOVE talking about ourselves! And if you're not curious, but still can't stop looking, don't look away when we look at YOU, look us in the eyes, isn't that how you normally look at people?

And finally, to all you people that I stare back at. Sorry! Just sometimes I've had a bad day and I just feel like throwing some of it back!

1 comment:

  1. This too, is absolutely priceless. It is nice to finally get to know this guy behind the bird drawing.

    Funny, funny, funny. :)

    ReplyDelete